A man was killed in a “catastrophic” crash on the M4 after being hit from behind at around 70mph, a court heard.
Cecil Scott, 62, is on trial at Cardiff Crown Court following the death of Jeffrey Paul Williams. He denies causing death by dangerous driving.
Mr Williams died as a result of his injuries following the crash on the eastbound carriageway on June 21, 2018.
The court heard that Scott “did not appear to slow down at all” in the Honda 4×4 he was driving before the impact.
On the first day of the trial, the court heard that earlier on June 21 Scott, a professional driver, was seen to “faint” by a colleague.
Prior to the crash, Mr Williams was seen on video overtaking Scott on the motorway. CCTV and dashcam footage, which was played to the court, also showed Scott “veering” between lanes before the crash.
Mr Williams, who driving a black Perodua, was then seen slowing down for traffic – described as a “rolling traffic jam” near junction 29, before being hit from behind by Scott’s vehicle.
Despite the best efforts of paramedics, 56-year-old Mr Williams, from Cwmbran, died at the scene.
Prosecuting counsel James Wilson said the weather was bright and clear on the day the fatal crash occurred – and did not have any adverse effect on driving conditions.
Mr Wilson said that one witness, Alun Davies, said that Scott “did not appear to slow down at all” before the crash and said he “did not believe he saw any brake lights”.
Mr Davies, who was travelling behind, told the court: “It [the Honda] did not brake at all. it was a bit of a shock.” He added he did not hear any “screeching” before the impact.
Another witness, Tracy Blackmore, gave evidence remotely on Monday. Ms Blackmore told the court she saw Scott’s vehicle appearing to go faster than others on the carriageway.
Mr Wilson asked: “Did it reduce its speed at any point?” She replied: “No.”
Gwent Police officer Richard Wyatt, of the forensic collision investigation unit, guided the jury through the various video footage of the incident. Before the crash PC Wyatt said Scott’s vehicle was seen “veering” and drifting” across lanes.
Investigations found no marks to indicate any form of emergency braking before the crash and that Scott would have had around 11 to 12 seconds to slow down.
Earlier on June 21, the court heard that one of Scott’s colleagues saw him “seem to faint” and fall to the ground. Scott later told police he was “not sure what had happened” but felt fine after eating McDonald’s. Scott was described as being a trade plate driver at the time a, professional driver who collects and delivers vehicles across the country.
Scott was later interviewed by the police telling officers: “The next thing I had hit the back of this car. It should not have happened.” He added: “To my eye I thought they [the other vehicles] were moving.”
He also said that he was travelling on cruise control at 70mph.
In a later interview on July 4 Scott, a diabetic, told officers: “All I can say is I did not blackout, I didn’t have a hypo [hypoglycaemic attack] and I did not fall asleep”.
Mr Wilson said there is no suggestion Scott’s diabetes has any relation to the cause of the crash.
When asked why he did not slow by officers, Scott said: “I can’t explain it. I can’t at all.”
Cecil Scott, of Ashfield, Stantonbury in Milton Keynes, is on trial for one count of causing death by dangerous driving.
He has pleaded guilty to an alternative charge of one count of causing death by careless driving.
The trial, before Judge Jeremy Jenkins, continues.